Creation of JECDB
The Joint Economic & Community Development Board of Wilson County, Tennessee was created in 1989 by a group of local community and business leaders. The leaders’ goal was to lay a foundation for economic and community development for Mt. Juliet, Lebanon, Watertown and Wilson County within one organization. The leaders strived to encourage economic and community development to broaden and increase the tax base of Wilson County. The group developed a purpose and mission for the JECDB:
- To develop, recommend and direct a strategic plan of policies and actions that improve the economic well-being of the community and those activities and services which support economic growth and improve the quality of life of the community’s members
- To encourage an entrepreneurial spirit among present businesses and citizens
- To help spawn expansions of local industry and businesses
- To seek out those enterprises which support the development of the future as outlined in the strategic plan for the purpose of enticing them to locate in Wilson County
- To foster an open communication among all groups in the County concerned with economic development including, but not limited to, residents, present industry and businesses, government, education, public and private developers and other public organizations.
The organization still develops its annual marketing plan and goals to ensure consistency with the above purpose and mission. The JECDB believes that working together as a community builds consensus and positive results in economic and community development for all of Wilson County, Tennessee.